Books

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Savior's Always There for Me

We have about a week left in Texas, and I had the privilege of spending one of my final two Sundays here leading worship at Southwood Christian Church. One of the songs I felt led to use is one that has become particularly meaningful to me. To be honest, it never really grabbed my attention when it was constantly playing on the radio several years ago, but it has come to mean much more to me during this time of transition.

Aaron Shust's song "My Savior, My God" is a 2007 re-make of an 1875 hymn written by Dorothy Dora Greenwell. This song begins by saying "I am not skilled to understand what God has willed, what God has planned." Let me assure you that I can sing this line from the heart! We are in the midst of so many changes, transitions, frustrations, and uncertainties -- I cannot see what God has willed or planned here.

I know for a fact that there are others who are going through trials and events far more difficult than what we have been walking through. Regardless of the trial, I'm pretty sure that most of us have things in our lives that we just do not understand --things that we can't yet see any purpose in, things that just don't seem to make sense.

Fortunately, Shust's song does not end with the line about our inability to understand. We don't understand ---BUT, to continue the song: "I only know at His right hand stands One who is my Savior...[and] my Savior loves, my Savior lives, my Savior is ALWAYS there for me." What a wonderful assurance! Even when I don't understand, I know Jesus is alive...He loves me...He has saved me...He is right beside me...He is always with me...He is Immanuel. May we keep that assurance in mind at all times, no matter our circumstances and regardless of whether or not we understand those plans or circumstances.

"I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me" (Ps 16:8 NLT).


No comments:

Post a Comment