Books

Monday, October 6, 2014

Reclaiming the Mission

Everyone loves new beginnings, fresh starts, and clean slates. They are a chance to move on and try to forget rough endings and slammed doors. Our attitudes and actions following those rough endings and slammed doors determines the quality and direction of that fresh start --- and whether we continue on the mission God has given us or we give up and go home. We can react to rough endings and slammed doors in one of two ways: we may become so completely discouraged and disillusioned that we quit pursuing the mission God has called us to, or we can run to Jesus for renewed strength to continue the mission He gave us.

Jesus holds all authority, and He is in control of which doors close and which ones open (Rev 3:7). A closed door is not necessarily a “no;” it is more likely a “not here” or a “not now.” It may provide us an opportunity to step back and reminded of who we are and what God has called us to be and to do for Him. “Reclaim the Mission” is a song I wrote earlier this year that speaks to this process. It begins with...

“Some days I forget who I am, that I’m part of a greater plan…”

Who am I? In her most recent Living Proof Live conference, Beth Moore reminds women who they are in God like this (it’s available on her blog):

            I am a woman (*or man) of God, redeemed by Jesus Christ
            Loved, pursued, and chosen, equipped with words of life
            Clothed in strength and dignity, commissioned here and now
            Gifted by the Spirit, forgiven and unbound

This is who I am…even when doors slam in my face…even when Satan attacks my identity…even when I’m under friendly fire from other believers. This is who I am. This is who you are if you are a follower of Jesus.

“I know there’s something more I’ve been created for.
There’s a job to do, I’m on a mission.”

We are all created for a purpose, and this purpose was not thrown together last minute. God planned it long ago. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (Eph 2:10 NLT).

“When the world diverts me from You, and Despair tells me ‘what’s the use?’…”

Why are we so easily distracted? Why do we listen to those debilitating, discouraging voices more than we listen to God or to those people whom He has placed in our lives to walk beside us and encourage us in our relationship with Him? Don’t listen to Despair. Allow Jesus to give you “a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair” (Is 61:3 NLT).

“May I never fail to see who You’ve called me to be.
Keep my eyes on You and on the mission.”

This should be our prayer: that we keep our eyes focused, not on the closed door and ended possibilities or on those intent on discouraging and distracting us, but focused on the Lord and what He has called us to do. “I raise my eyes to fix my gaze on You, for Your throne resides in the heavens. Just as the eyes of servants closely watch the hand of their masters, just as a maid carefully observes the slightest gesture of her mistress, in the same way we look to You, Eternal One, waiting for our God to pour out His mercy upon us.” (Ps 123:1-2 VOI).

If you have recently experienced a slammed door, a rough ending, or are in need of confirmation from the Lord as to who you are, what He has created you to be, and what He has called you to do, try singing this prayer with me:

“Lord, remind me what is true, rekindle love for You
Renew my strength, refocus my vision
Re-set my heart aflame to glorify Your name
Redirect my path; Lord, may we reclaim the mission.”

No comments:

Post a Comment