Books

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Gratitude


Today was my last opportunity (at least for awhile) to have the luxury of going to this beautiful park for an extended quiet time for prayer and reflection because I am starting a job tomorrow. It’s only a temporary office job, but it will help us with finances while I’m searching for a ministry position. I am very grateful to have this job….but at the same time, I’m a little sad because it is the end of this gift of time to spend in the Word and prayer. It makes me grateful, rather than resentful, for the months I’ve been off work and able to spend hours reading, reflecting, writing, and praying.
Henri Nouwen said, “Gratitude is more than an occasional ‘thanks be to God.’ Gratitude is the attitude that enables us to let go of anger, receive the hidden gifts of those we want to serve, and make these gifts visible to the community as a source of celebration. Gratitude is at the heart of celebration and ministry.”[1]
Habakkuk wrote, “Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!” (Hab 3:17-18 NLT). 
I spent this morning in the beautiful Colorado scenery writing this list of just a few of the things I am thankful for.
  1. Even though I am still eager to get back into full-time ministry, I am thankful for the time of rest and the time I have had for family and to pray, read, and write.
  2. Even though there were some difficulties in my last ministry position, I am extremely grateful for that time because I was blessed with amazing, life-long friends while I was there, and for each Sunday I had the absolute privilege of leading others to worship and praise Jesus while I was there.
  3. Even though I am still in the process of asking, seeking, and knocking on various doors (Matt 7:7), I am thankful for every shut door and every “no” because it is all contributes to guiding me along the path to where God will have a “yes.”
  4. I am very thankful for the opportunity to serve and lead worship for a church plant in far north Denver on Sunday evenings and the new friends I have met there.
  5. I am very grateful for the gift of music and of song. I am so glad that God gave us this incredible gift that we can use to express our worship, adoration, and praise of Him. It is such a blessing to sing to the Lord (Ps 30:4).
  6. I am thankful that we took the leap to move from my home state of Texas to Colorado. It is such a beautiful place filled with awesome displays of God’s creation and handiwork (Ps 19:1-4).
  7. I am thankful for all the friends and family God has blessed me with who offer up prayers and very kind words of encouragement to me. And being several states removed from many of them, I am thankful for technology that allows us to still communicate and stay in contact with each other.
  8. I am thankful that I have a Bible that I can read so that I can hear from God. I am thankful that it is not just a book, but something living and active (Heb 4:12). God always has a word to speak into my circumstances, or words that reflect my heart and my prayers.
  9. I am thankful for prayer and the ability we have to boldly go into the throne room of God, with the knowledge that He will give us grace and mercy (Heb 4:14-16). I am thankful that we have the Spirit to intercede for us and to interpret our jumbled thoughts and words when we don’t really know quite what to pray (Rom 8:26).
  10. I am so very thankful that God sees worth in the seemingly worthless and He paid such a high price for us (1 Pet 1:18-19). I am thankful that the Creator was willing to sacrifice Himself to redeem His creation (Ps 8:4).  



[1] Henri Nowen, Michael J. Christensen, and Rebecca J. Laird.  Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit. New York: HarperCollins, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment